Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Social Media for Real People


I admit, I've "liked" a few corporate brand pages in an effort to get something for free but I usually end up unliking them soon after because I'm tired of blatant advertising clogging up my news feed. Apparently, I'm not the only one.


For a lesson in all the things corporate brand pages do wrong, check out Condescending Corporate Brand Page and marvel at all the ineffective and offensively obvious pleas for attention some companies use. 


A better strategy, especially for small businesses with closer relationships with their customers:

1. Post things people WANT to like as opposed to things that guilt people into liking.

2. Be a real person. Recognize that your customers are real people.

Maybe that's oversimplifying (yes, yes it is) but it certainly is the first step in not looking like a jerk on Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment